Why are teachers mandatory reporters?
The responsibilities of school personnel
Arizona law (A.R.S 13-3620) states the following:
- Protecting the welfare of students is the most important responsibility of every professional educator.
- The purpose of the law is to ensure the safety of children.
- It is a Class 6 felony to fail to report "reportable offenses."
- It is a misdemeanor to fail to report physical injury, child abuse, and neglect.
- View the following video clip (2:24 minutes) to find out the responsibilities of educators and parents.